Okay, so I'm not even gonna try to pretend that I don't eat junk food. I know that the heading on the top of this page says that I try to find healthy ways to feed my family... and I do! BUT, I also find it necessary to indulge every once in a while on something rich and delicious. Like... cheesecake!
Cheesecake is a family favorite all the way around. Before I married Jon, my mom always made no-bake cheesecakes that were amazing & always topped with yummy fruits. I thought, that there was no way possible someone could love cheesecake more than my mom... Well, I was wrong!
Cheesecake was not only my hubby's favorite dessert when we started dating but also could've easily been his favorite breakfast and midnight snack. It incidentally ended up being our wedding cake too! (Not one, but 4!) Since, then I have tried to find new and inventive ways to make cheesecake; to keep it interesting and keep our friends guessing. If you clicked the link to my former recipe box of blogs you saw that there was a link for Pumpkin Spice Latte Cheesecake. I made that for our 2012 superbowl party... Wondering what I'll make for 2013? Stay tuned!
This recipe was adapted was OKC.com...
APPLE CRISP CHEESECAKE
- graham cracker crumbs - 1/2 cup
- quick cooking oats - 1/4 cup
- brown sugar - 4 tsp
- butter - 3 tbsp, melted
- cream cheese, softened - 2 - 8oz pkgs
- packed brown sugar - 1/4 cup
- egg - 1, lightly beaten
- sour cream - 3 tbsp
- ground cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- ground ginger - 1/8 tsp
- vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- apple, sliced & peeled - 2/3 cup
- all-purpose flour - 3 tbsp
- quick cooking oats - 3 tbsp
- brown sugar - 3 tbsp
- ground cinnamon - 3 tsp
- cold butter - 2 tbsp
- caramel ice cream topping - personal taste
- In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, oats and brown sugar; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom of a 6-in. spring form pan coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and brown sugar until smooth. Add egg; beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in the sour cream, cinnamon and ginger.
- Pour over crust. Arrange apple slices over filling.
- For topping, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apple slices.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until center is almost set.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer.
- Refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, remove sides of pan.
- Caramel topping may be added to taste just prior to serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Enjoy your Apple Crisp Cheesecake!